Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Day After Today


Next week we begin installation of our shallow frost-free slab. Yes, it was supposed to be this week, no - last week, no - the week before last week. But, now we actually have some progress. Tomorrow, the engineering firm that has to approve our "compaction" - the gravel/fill compacted under our slab - will be on site with our excavator doing soil tests and preparing for the big dig. Well, the dig won't be all that big because we're putting in a floating slab (no stem walls), but all the same, the results will be a bit dramatic. This image (above) is of our house site this past week. Roaming wild raspberry canes have popped up everywhere and a few poor little trees & bushes are ready for the sacrifice.
The weather has been beautiful, with rain at night and hot, sunny days. I thought we'd be buried in cob by now, but here you can see some photos (taken by Lisa C) from a sailing voyage up the Kennebecasis River last night with some of my colleagues from the university. The Kennebecasis River Valley is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Although some say there are only two seasons: Winter and July.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how excited you must be to start to see things happening.

Are you allowing "spectators" at your bale raising in Sept?

I am looking into a retrofit for my current residence. I have put out a couple of SOS's but have no idea where else to turn.

I bought my grandparents home from my mother 9 months ago. It is a nightmare to heat. (oil heat)...



Deb from Amherst,NS

11:27 AM  
Blogger StrawBoss said...

Hi Kara,
What beautiful pictures, must be a beautiful river!
Love the TT-we lived in a 5th wheel when we built the first house along with our sons then about 6 and 10-what an adventure.
I've certainly seen losts of Canadian visitors to my blog since you mentioned it in yours. Thanks!
Judy

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscription Services:

RSS Feed Subscribe to Stonehouse Strawhouse.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!